Carbon Monoxide at National Press Building Sends 9 to Hospital

WASHINGTON (CBSDC/AP) — The D.C. fire department says nine people were sickened by carbon monoxide at the National Press Building and sent to area hospitals.

Twenty-seven people were evaluated after being exposed to the fumes on Monday night, officials say.

Fire department spokesperson Lon Walls says 10 construction workers were sickened while removing asbestos from the building at 14th and F streets northwest.

The Associated Press reports seven of the workers were taken to the hospital. Walls says the workers taken to hospitals appeared to be in relatively good condition. He says one was more seriously affected, but he is expected to survive.

In tweets to various media outlets, including All-News 99.1 WNEW, The National Press Club said it was not involved or affected by the incident. According to the tweet, construction was being done on the National Press Building and not the club itself.

Follow WNEW on Twitter.

(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS DC

D.C. Lottery Live
Follow and Like Us

Listen Live