Obama: I Have ‘Complete Confidence’ In Holder

View Comments
President Barack Obama and Turkish Prime Minister Recep Erdogan hold a joint press conference, during a rain shower, in the Rose Garden of the White House in Washington, D.C., on May 16, 2013. (credit: SAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images)

President Barack Obama and Turkish Prime Minister Recep Erdogan hold a joint press conference, during a rain shower, in the Rose Garden of the White House in Washington, D.C., on May 16, 2013. (credit: SAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images)

Latest News

WASHINGTON (CBSDC/AP) — President Barack Obama continues to back Attorney General Eric Holder following the fallout over the Justice Department secretly obtaining two months of telephone records of reporters and editors for The Associated Press.

During a Rose Garden press conference alongside Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan Thursday, the president stated that he has “complete confidence” in the job Holder is doing.

Obama defended the leak probes as necessary for national security and called for a balance with press freedom.

“Leaks related to national security can put people at risk,” Obama said, adding that “we still don’t know all the details of the case.”

Obama says it’s time to renew discussions about a federal shield law that would protect journalists and their employers from having to reveal sources.

Obama also waved off comparing the scandals of his administration to that of former President Richard Nixon.

On Wednesday, congressional Republicans and Democrats challenged Holder over the Justice Department’s handling of the investigation of national security leaks and its failure to talk to the AP before issuing subpoenas for the news service’s telephone records.

In exchanges that often turned testy, Holder defended the inquiry while pointing out that he had removed himself from any decision on subpoenas. The attorney general explained that he had been interviewed about what he knew of national security developments that prompted the probe.

The investigation follows congressional demands into whether Obama administration officials leaked secret information to the media last year to enhance the president’s national security credentials in an election year.

“It’s an ongoing matter and an ongoing matter in which I know nothing,” Holder told the House Judiciary Committee.

The Justice Department secretly obtained two months of telephone records of reporters and editors for the AP, seizing the records for more than 20 separate telephone lines assigned to the AP and its journalists in April and May 2012.

Holder defended the move to collect AP phone records in an effort to hunt down the sources of information for a May 7, 2012, AP story that disclosed details of a CIA operation in Yemen to stop an airliner bombing plot around the anniversary of the killing of terrorist leader Osama bin Laden.

The attorney general called the story the result of “a very serious leak, a very grave leak.” Earlier this week in a statement, AP President and Chief Executive Officer Gary Pruitt called the gathering of phone records a “massive and unprecedented intrusion” into how news organizations gather the news.

Under questioning, Holder said he recused himself from the investigation though he couldn’t provide the panel with the exact date nor did he do so formally in writing. He said he was unable to answer questions on the subpoenas and why the Justice Department failed to negotiate with the AP prior to the subpoenas, a standard practice.

“The telephone records would not disappear if the AP had been notified,” said Rep. Zoe Lofgren, D-Calif. “How could it ever be the case?”

The frustration extended to Republicans and Democrats.

“There doesn’t appear to be any acceptance of responsibility for things that have gone wrong,” Rep. James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., told Holder. He suggested that administration officials travel to the Harry S. Truman Presidential Library and take a photo of the famous sign, “The buck stops here.”

It was the Justice Department’s No. 2 official, Deputy Attorney General James Cole, who made the decision to seek news media phone records, Holder said.

Last year, Holder appointed two U.S. attorneys to lead a Justice inquiry into who leaked information about U.S. involvement in cyber-attacks on Iran and an al-Qaeda plot to place an explosive device aboard a U.S.-bound flight. Holder had resisted calls for a special counsel, telling lawmakers that the two attorneys, Ron Machen and Rod Rosenstein, are experienced, independent and thorough.

(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,838 other followers