WASHINGTON (AP) — Reporters and photographers were evacuated from the West Wing of the White House early Saturday because of smoke from a faulty piece of equipment.
U.S. Secret Service spokesman Max Milien says that at about 7 a.m., smoke was seen coming out of a mechanical room closet on the first floor.
Journalists and others were evacuated out of — quote “an abundance of caution” and the District of Columbia fire department was called. People were allowed back into the building about an hour later.
Officials say a transformer in the mechanical room overheated.
No injuries were reported and White House officials say President Barack Obama and his family were not affected by the incident.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)