LANHAM, Md. (CBSDC) — The woman who died in an Easter morning fire in Cheverly has been identified as 59-year-old Stephanie Kay Syslo.

The cause of her death was determined to be smoke inhalation and thermal injuries.

Prince George’s County fire personnel responded at around 8 a.m. Sunday to the two-story home in the 2400 block of 59th Place. They found Syslo dead at the top of the stairs after extinguishing the blaze.

Fire officials said the house was filled with hoarded materials that may have contributed to the fire, in addition to making it difficult for firefighters to get into the house.

Fire Chief Marc Bashoor said the home didn’t have any working smoke alarms.

Sunday’s death was the 11th fire-related death in Prince George’s County this year. There were 10 such deaths in the county in all of 2012.

Follow WNEW on Twitter.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Listen Live