Elderly Temple Hills Man Dies From Burn Injuries Caused By Space Heater

LANHAM, Md. (CBSDC)– A Temple Hills man has died after sustaining burn injuries caused by a space heater.

Firefighters and paramedics were called to the 5900 block of Rayburn Drive Friday afternoon to aid a man who had sustained critical burn injuries over the majority of his body when his clothes were ignited by coming into contact with a “torpedo style” kerosene space heater.

The man, identified as 77-year-old George Lee White, was transported to the Burn Unit at Medstar Washington Hospital Center where he succumbed to his injuries early Saturday morning.

A torpedo heater has a cylindrical shape and is usually portable, with two wheels and a carrying handle. It is a powerful space heater, powered by electricity, kerosene or gas, that can easily heat large spaces but often overpowers small areas. The heater is commonly used on construction sites and other outdoor areas.

Follow WNEW on Twitter.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS DC

D.C. Lottery Live
Follow and Like Us

Listen Live