LANHAM, Md. (CBSDC)– Metro will present a $2.5 billion budget and spending plan for the upcoming fiscal year to its board of directors Thursday, and a fare hike is not expected to be a part of it, according to a Washington Post report.
Richard Sarles, Metro’s general manager, told the Post that service cuts are not being proposed, either.
A rate increase approved last year resulted in a 5 percent average price increase for rail riders, and the transit system saw a decline in ridership in 2012 compared with 2011. Officials expect a ridership revenue decrease of $25 million for fiscal 2013.
This year’s budget includes funding for new buses, new rail cars, a new radio communications system, the launch of Silver Line operation and a program to manage worker fatigue, says the Post.
Follow WNEW on Twitter.