LANHAM, Md. (CBSDC)- A Monday morning house fire and a residential New Year’s Day blaze – both on the same street in Clinton, Md. – have been ruled suspicious by the Prince George’s County Fire/EMS Department.

On Jan. 1, firefighters were dispatched at 6:15 p.m. to an unoccupied home under foreclosure on Student Drive. At 1:30 a.m. on Jan. 7, they responded to reports of a fire at a vacant house still under construction nearby, according to spokesman Mark Brady.

While Brady would not discuss specific evidence that led to the fires being ruled suspicious, there was no possible accidental ignition source in the uncompleted home, he said. No one was injured as a result of either fire, though they caused a combined $400,000 of damage.

One neighbor was affected when propane cylinders on the home construction site exploded as a result of the blaze, becoming projectiles that traveled nearly 50 yards and damaged a car in the driveway and the exterior of the house.

The homes where the fires occurred were built by Prince George’s County high school students in conjunction with the Foundation for Applied Construction Technology for Students program, Brady said.

Investigators encourage anyone with tips to call 301-77-ARSON.

Follow WNEW on Twitter.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Listen Live