Glen Burnie High School Student Dies; Meningitis Suspected

GLEN BURNIE, Md. (CBSDC) – A high school student in Anne Arundel County has died from what officials believe may be a case of bacterial meningitis.

School officials say the female student, an unidentified junior at Glen Burnie High School, became ill on Monday and died one day later.

In a letter sent to parents, the principal Vickie Plitt warns of the potential health hazards posed to students in the school.

“It’s just really, really crazy that someone actually died at my school,” one student said Thursday morning.

Plitt explained to parents that meningitis does not spread easily. However, the virus may be transmitted by sharing food or kissing.

Signs and symptoms of bacterial meningitis:

  • Abrupt onset of chills
  • Fever
  • Vomiting
  • Headaches
  • Stiff neck
  • Rash

Officials say parents should contact their family physician immediately if their child develops any of the above symptoms.

WNEW’s John Domen contributed to this report. Follow him on Twitter.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS DC

D.C. Lottery Live
Follow and Like Us

Listen Live