College Park Blaze Displaces 9 UMd. Students
Get Breaking News First
COLLEGE PARK, Md. (CBSDC) - A fire in an off campus apartment in College Park displaced nine University of Maryland students Monday evening.
Prince George’s County Fire says it was alerted of a fire in an apartment complex, located in the 4200 block of Knox Rd., around 6:50 p.m.
When firefighters arrived on the scene they found smoke coming from the building and located and extinguished the fire in the kitchen of a second-floor unit.
Nine students were displaced as a result of the blaze and have been given shelter in temporary housing.
Officials say the fire appears to have started from a candle left unattended, which was lit as part of a Hanukkah Menorah.
The residents of the two-story brick complex say they stepped out for only a moment, and returned to a burning apartment.
No injuries were reported.