Police Attribute 10th Attack to Fondling Suspect in Springfield
SPRINGFIELD, Va. (CBSDC) – A woman was grabbed inappropriately from behind in Springfield Monday evening and police believe the attacker may be the same man who’s groped almost a dozen other women in the area.
Fairfax police received a call around 6 p.m. about an adult female who was walking to her apartment in the 7200 block of Commerce St. when a man grabbed her.
Police say she turned around to look at the man and he fled. He was wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt and blue jeans.
Police put out a K-9 unit and a helicopter to search for the suspect but to no avail. They say they are treating the situation as if it’s the same man wanted in nine previous attacks since early September.
The most recent victim – a 42-year-old woman – came forward Friday, Nov. 9, more than a week after being attacked, when a friend informed her she was another victim in a long line of attacks that also occurred in the Springfield area.
Timeline of Other Attacks:
- Nov. 1: 42-year old grabbed in the 6000 block of Hibbling Ave.
- Nov. 1: 23-year old groped at bus stop on 7200 block of Commerce St.
- Oct. 25: Woman fondled while walking near Lake Pleasant and Edinburgh Dr.
- Oct. 4: (Reported) 25-year old woman groped walking near Cumberland Dr. and Dinwiddie St.
- Oct. 2: 15-year old girl attacked near Hibbling Ave. and Exmore St.
- Sept. 27: 17-year old girl grabbed in the 5900 block of Erving St.
- Sept. 19: 40-year old woman fondled near Hibbling Ave. and Exmore St.
- Sept. 18: 16-year old girl grabbed in the 6700 block of Metropolitan Center Dr.
- Sept. 7: 26-year old woman fondled in the 7200 block of Monticello Blvd.