Two-Alarm Fire Destroys Warehouse Near Gallaudet University
WASHINGTON (CBSDC/AP) — A fire has torn through a wholesale warehouse in northeast Washington near Gallaudet University.
The fire broke out Wednesday night and appeared to be a wholesale market that sells to small businesses in the region. It is near the new Union Market, which recently opened and features specialty foods and artisans.
Firefighters were able to get inside the burning building when they first arrived, discovering much of the merchandise was engulfed in flames. A call was then made to battle the two-alarm blaze from the building’s exterior.
The fire is extinguished, but the building was still smoldering early Thursday.
The Washington Post reports the fire appeared to cause significant damage to wholesalers that sell Mexican fruits, seafood, handbags and other products. Between 10 and 15 businesses are inside or adjacent the warehouse.
No injuries or deaths have been reported.
(TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)