Pepco Crew Helps Rescue Child From Burning Home

LANHAM, Md. (CBSDC) — An alert Pepco crew has rescued a three-year-old child from a burning home in Upper Marlboro.

Fire officials say the crew noticed a fire and large amount of smoke coming from the kitchen of a home near their work site in the 2600 block of Ritchie-Marlboro Road in Upper Marlboro around 9 a.m. Wednesday.

After notifying their dispatch about the blaze, the crew ran into the home, yelling to see if anyone was inside. After receiving no response, crew members put out the fire with an extinguisher that was in their truck.

Shortly thereafter, the child’s mother ran inside and retrieved the toddler who was sleeping through the ordeal.

The woman was walking her older children to a school bus stop at the time of the fire began, authorities say.

Firefighters believe the fire started in a trash can and had spread into the cabinets and propane stove area before the utility crew was able to extinguish it.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS DC

D.C. Lottery Live
Follow and Like Us

Listen Live