WASHINGTON (CBSDC/AP) — Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad acknowledges that a military strike from Israel and the United States is possible.
Speaking to Iran’s state-run Fars News Agency, Ahmadinejad said the upcoming months will be “tumultuous and controversial.”
“The possibility of attack against Iran cannot be ignored, but it can be said that Iran’s response to any aggression will be crushing,” Ahmadinejad said, according to The Times of Israel.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has warned that Israel will do everything in its power to make sure Iran doesn’t develop a nuclear weapon, including a military strike.
Netanyahu has called for President Obama to draw a “red line” with Iran to stop the regime’s nuclear advancement.
A report from the think tank Institute for Science and International Security Monday said Iran is two to four months away from producing enough weapons-grade uranium to arm a nuclear bomb, but would still face serious challenges and delays in implementing it.
“Despite work it may have done in the past,” Iran would need “many additional months to manufacture a nuclear device suitable for underground testing and even longer to make a reliable warhead for a ballistic missile,” the report stated, according to The Associated Press.
The United Nations’ International Atomic Energy Agency said last week that no new talks have been schedule with Iran over its nuclear program.
Ahmadinejad has repeatedly stated the country’s nuclear technology is only being used for peaceful purposes.
(TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)