RICHMOND, Va. (CBSDC/AP) — The state medical examiner’s office says complications from a snake bite killed a Chesterfield County man who was found dead in his home.
The office didn’t provide details but said the death of 70-year-old Jack Redmond was an accident.
Media outlets say the office released its findings Thursday.
Redmond’s wife called police Monday and said she found her husband dead in a room of their home where he kept various snakes and lizards.
Authorities removed 24 venomous snakes from the home the next day. Two private collectors agreed on Wednesday to either care for the venomous snakes or find facilities where they could be placed.
“The animals were well maintained. Everything was locked and secure,” J.D. Kloepfer, a person with the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, told WWBT-TV.
The family put out a written statement that read: “Jack was a loving and wonderful husband and amazing friend to so many people. He loved old cars, travel, art, languages, and all of nature. He cared greatly about the environment. He was bravely fighting cancer, but found reasons to laugh and make us all laugh every day.”
A Chesterfield County ordinance bans ownership of venomous snakes.
(TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)