Balou High School Students Sickened by Teacher’s Apples
Get Breaking News First
WASHINGTON (CBSDC) — Several students from Ballou High School in Southeast D.C. became ill after eating apples brought to class by their teacher.
Health officials are investigating whether the students were allergic to apples or whether the fruit was treated with a substance that caused the illness.
Three of the students were taken to Children’s Hospital after complaining of stomach pains and nausea. They are all expected to be okay.
The apples reportedly came from the teacher’s farm in Pennsylvania.
A total of 25 students were in the class. It is unclear how many actually at the apples.
A spokesperson for DCPS says the situation has been contained.
Fire and safety departments remained at the school in the event additional students experience food poisoning symptoms.