WASHINGTON (CBSDC) — A Libyan official admitted they will most likely not be able to find the killers behind the deadly attack at the U.S. consulate in Benghazi last week.
Interior Ministry spokesman Izzedine Fezzen told CBS News that Libya just doesn’t have the “power” to find the attackers who killed Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.
“We don’t have enough power to catch them,” Fezzen said.
Benghazi’s attorney general also told CBS News that they don’t have the “expertise or technology to do a proper investigation.”
The FBI will be handling the investigation.
White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said Thursday that the attack on the consulate was a form of terrorism, but during an interview with Univision, President Obama explained that he still doesn’t know if the deadly attack was terrorism.
“We’re still doing an investigation and there will be different circumstances in different countries,” Obama told Univision.
CBS News has learned that officials are focusing on Islamist militia Ansar al Sharia for the attack.