Weekend Metro Delays Guide: Closures On Red Line
WASHINGTON (CBSDC) - Metro is ramping up its communications this weekend with the installation of a new fiber optic cable expected to improve wireless communications, but it comes with a heavy burden on its riders.
Passengers should look for heavy delays on the Red Line starting Friday, Sept. 7 through Sunday, Sept. 9 while some stations allow for installation of the new fiber optic cable, as well as usual weekend track maintenance and third rail upgrades.
Free shuttle buses will completely replace Red Line trains between the Dupont Circle and NoMa-Gallaudet University stations.
The following stations will be affected:
- Dupont Circle – open for rail service to/from Shady Grove only
- Farragut North – closed
- Metro Center – open for Blue/Orange line service only (NOTE: The station entrances at 11th & G St NW and 13th & G St NW will be closed. The entrances at 12th & G St NW and 12th & F St NW will remain open.)
- Gallery Place - open for Green/Yellow line service only (NOTE: The station entrance at 9th & G St NW will be closed. The entrances at 7th & H St NW and 7th & F St NW will remain open.)
- Judiciary Square – closed
- Union Station - closed (NOTE: Shuttle buses will depart from First Street NE, outside the Metro station entrance.)
- NoMa-Gallaudet U – open for rail service to/from Glenmont only
Red Line trains will operate in two sections:
- Between Shady Grove and Dupont Circle stations every 10 minutes between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m., and at regular weekend intervals at other times.
- Between Glenmont and NoMa-Gallaudet U stations every 10 minutes between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m., and at regular weekend intervals at other times.
Free shuttle bus service will operate on two routes:
- Limited stop buses will operate between Dupont Circle, Metro Center, Gallery Place and NoMa-Gallaudet U stations only. Customers using limited stop buses should allow up to 30 minutes of additional travel time.
- Local buses will stop at all stations. Customers using local bus service should allow up to 50 minutes of additional travel time.
Alternate travel options
- Many Metrorail stations are also served by Metrobus routes that travel to Downtown DC. To determine the best Metrobus itinerary for your trip, use Metro’s Advanced Trip Planner, select your date of travel and choose “bus only” as your travel mode.
- DC Circulator provides frequent bus service along K Street NW, connecting Farragut North and Union Station and serving bus stops within walking distance of Metro Center and Gallery Place. For additional information, visit the DC Circulator website.
- Metrorail’s Green Line provides service between Fort Totten (Red Line transfer station) and Gallery Place. Customers on the eastern side of the Red Line may wish to consider using the Green Line for travel to/from Gallery Place this weekend.
Last train information
- On Friday and Saturday nights, the last Red Line train from Shady Grove to Dupont Circle will depart 30 minutes earlier than normal, at 2:00 a.m. The last train from Glenmont to NoMa-Gallaudet U will depart 41 minutes earlier than normal, at 1:56 a.m.
- On Sunday night, the last Red Line train from Shady Grove to Dupont Circle will depart 30 minutes earlier than normal, at 11:00 p.m. The last train from Glenmont to NoMa-Gallaudet U will depart 41 minutes earlier than normal, at 10:56 p.m.