Metro To Improve Wi-Fi Over Weekend
WASHINGTON (CBSDC) – Riders will suffer major delays this weekend as Metro works to improve wireless communications and continues to rebuild its tracks.
Improvements to the Metrorail system will continue over the weekend of Sept. 7 through Sept. 9. In addition to the usual trackwork riders are accustomed to as part of the ongoing $5 billion Capital Improvement Program, Metro will be installing a new fiber optic cable for improved wireless communications.
Free shuttle buses will replace Red Line trains between Dupont Circle and NoMa-Gallaudet University.
The following Red Line stations will be affected:
- Dupont Circle – open for rail service to/from Shady Grove only
- Farragut North – closed
- Metro Center – open for Blue/Orange line service only (NOTE: The station entrances at 11th & G St NW and 13th & G St NW will be closed. The entrances at 12th & G St NW and 12th & F St NW will remain open.)
- Gallery Place – open for Green/Yellow line service only (NOTE: The station entrance at 9th & G St NW will be closed. The entrances at 7th & H St NW and 7th & F St NW will remain open.)
- Judiciary Square – closed
- Union Station – closed (NOTE: Shuttle buses will depart from First Street NE, outside the Metro station entrance.)
- NoMa-Gallaudet U – open for rail service to/from Glenmont only
Red Line trains will still operate in two sections:
- Between Shady Grove and Dupont Circle stations every 10 minutes between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m., and at regular weekend intervals at other times.
- Between Glenmont and NoMa-Gallaudet U stations every 10 minutes between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m., and at regular weekend intervals at other times.
Free shuttle bus service will operate on two routes:
- Limited stop buses will operate between Dupont Circle, Metro Center, Gallery Place and NoMa-Gallaudet U stations only. Customers using limited stop buses should allow up to 30 minutes of additional travel time.
- Local buses will stop at all stations. Customers using local bus service should allow up to 50 minutes of additional travel time.
Click here for the full list of closings and delays this weekend.