Officials Say Electrical Circuit Caused Fire That Killed 5-Year Old Girl In Capitol Heights
Get Breaking News First
CAPITOL HEIGHTS, Md. (CBSDC) – Fire officials say an overloaded electrical circuit caused a fire that killed a 5-year-old girl and critically injured her father and uncle Wednesday in Capitol Heights.
What began as a story of heroics turned tragic overnight after a 5-year-old girl died from injuries sustained in a major fire Wednesday afternoon.
The fire took hold of the Chapel Oaks neighborhood home, severely injuring two in the blaze, including a teenage boy.
The brick duplex in the 6000 block of Carrington Court, just off Martin Luther King Jr. Highway, caught fire around 4:30 p.m. The heavy fire started on the first floor then blasted upwards, engulfing the second floor of the home as well.
When firefighters arrived, a 24-year-old man came out of the fiery home screaming for his life with burns on over fifty percent of his body. His daughter and younger brother were still trapped inside.
Firefighters found the unconscious bodies of a 15-year-old boy and a 5-year-old girl inside the home, with both victims being categorized as extremely critical by first responders.
CPR was performed on at least one of the children.
Both children regained consciousness after being revived, bringing hope to the family of the teenaged boy and young girl. The boy was flown to the Burn Center at MedStar Washington Hospital Center.
However, late Wednesday evening authorities announced the young girl had succumbed to the injuries she sustained from the fire.
A fire department spokesperson said, “We were notified from children’s hospital, that at about 8 p.m. that the 5-year-old girl that was being treated there, had passed away as a result of her injuries.”