BALTIMORE (AP) — Pepco is defending its response to the deadly outbreak of thunderstorms last month that left hundreds of thousands of Baltimore-Washington area customers without electricity for several sweltering days.
The Washington Post reports that the utility said in a report that it “mobilized quickly, calling on both internal and external resources” to restore power to homes and businesses left in the dark and without air-conditioning after the June 29 storms. But Pepco also took responsibility for software glitches that affected tens of thousands of calls for service and for its inability to tell customers when the lights would be back on.
Pepco stressed that unlike with a hurricane, it had little advance notice of the straight-line storms that were just as devastating.
Del. Tom Hucker, a Montgomery County Democrat, said the utility was engaging in “more excuse-making” for an inadequate response.
(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)