O’Malley: Power Restored To 75 Percent Of Maryland Residents
Get Breaking News First
WASHINGTON (CBSDC/AP) — Md. Gov. Martin O’Malley says power has been restored to 75 percent of residents who experienced outages after last week’s severe storms.
O’Malley said during a news conference Tuesday that about 271,615 people remain without power, down from more than 1 million who initially lost power. The governor also says that the number of out-of-state crews working on the restoration effort has doubled since Monday from 1,000 to 2,000.
O’Malley urged residents to check on friends and neighbors, particularly elderly residents who are especially vulnerable to heat. He also said residents who still lack power should call their utility company to report the outage.
Pepco confirmed these figures with a statement on its website:
“Pepco and local contract crews augmented by outside utility reinforcements have restored three out of every four outages from Friday’s violent storm.”
Let us know in the comment section below if you are a Maryland resident still without power. Don’t forget to tell us what town you are in!
(TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)