WASHINGTON (CBSDC/AP) – Violent evening storms following a day of triple-digit temperatures wiped out power to more than 2 million customers across the eastern United States and caused at least five fatalities – including a 90-year-old Virginia woman asleep in bed when a tree slammed into her home, and two young cousins on a camping trip in southern New Jersey.
Widespread power outages were reported from Indiana to New Jersey, with the bulk of the service interruptions concentrated on Washington, D.C. and surrounding areas, leaving many without power – and without air conditioning – on a day that temperatures are expected to reach triple digits across the eastern U.S.
Power Outage Resources
- Get The Latest From Pepco
- Get The Latest From Dominion Virginia Power
- Get The Latest From Baltimore Gas & Electric
- Get The Latest From PotomacEdison
- Get The Latest From D.C. Water
- Weather Center
- Check Live Radar, Heat Index
- Get The Latest Forecasts
- Check Traffic Closures
- Get updated on WMATA Information, Delays, Closures
- Photos From The Storm
- All The latest News From The Storm