FALLS CHURCH, Va. (CBSDC) — The standoff between police and a man who barricaded himself inside a Falls Church home ended after 28 hours of failed negotiations, but without loss of life.

Shortly before 10 p.m. Tuesday police saw an opportunity to reach the man without killing him. They seized the opportunity and tased the man who barricaded himself inside a home following a domestic dispute on Monday.

View photos from standoff

Authorities from Falls Church, Arlington and Fairfax County assisted in the two-day standoff.

Shortly after the situation was resolved, residents who had been ordered to stay inside their homes during the standoff were allowed to come outside. Likewise, those who hadn’t been able to go home during the standoff were allow back inside their homes.

The man will be facing felony charges.

Original Post

The standoff between Falls Church police and a man who barricaded himself inside a home entered its second day without resolution, leaving the impacted neighborhood on virtual lock down.

The situation began around 4:30 p.m. Monday when the man pulled out a gun and threatened to burn down a home in the 600 block of Hillwood Ave. following a domestic dispute.

Shortly after the man’s family fled the home a SWAT team was called in and the standoff began.

Police tried in vain to reach the man inside the home, but were unable to yield tangible results until around 1 a.m. Tuesday morning. The barricaded man used a cell phone given to him by authorities in order to communicate with police.

A number of other conversations took place as the day progressed. However, none of the talks brought the standoff to a conclusion.

Authorities tried to smoke the man out of the home at one point. Police broke windows to the home and fired in a chemical substance of some sort.

Around 4 p.m. Tuesday they again fired canisters of a chemical substance into the home in an effort to establish communication with the man.

A six-block stretch of Hillwood Ave. between Cherry St. and Roosevelt Dr. remained closed as of late Tuesday afternoon. Those residents who were inside their homes when the standoff began are being told they cannot leave. Others, who were not at home at the time the police established the perimeter, are not being allowed to return to their homes.

Traffic restrictions extended to an even wider area and detours are in place. Police dispatch is already receiving calls from frustrated and confused drivers.

All-News 99.1 reporter George Mesthos spoke with Shonda Wilson, who lives four doors down from the barricaded home, who said it was “eerie” to not have cars traveling up and down the street during the day. Wilson said police have yelled at her when she stepped outside of her home. However, they did allow her husband to leave to get food and go to work.

Another resident reported police told her they expect the situation to be resolved by dinner Tuesday and breakfast Wednesday.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

More From CBS DC

CBSLocal App
Watch Live

Listen Live