Filed underYour Home
For more tips, tricks and advice to turn your house into a home, visit
Getting married is one of the biggest milestones in life, and women dream of their big day from childhood. It seems the only downside to a wedding is that they can be extremely expensive. A majority of the cost comes from renting a venue for the ceremony and reception. Washington, D.C. is among the prettiest cities in the country and a perfect location for a wedding. If you are lucky enough to have a home to hold the ceremony and reception, you can plan accordingly and spend that saved money elsewhere. However, first weigh all factors before committing to bringing the big day to your backyard.
1. Cost - Renting a wedding venue is pricey. Compare prices of local venues to the estimated price of holding a home wedding. Venues are likely to provide necessary essentials such as seating and lighting that you will be forced to provide yourself. Create a list of responsibilities and an excel sheet of every last expense.
2. Labor - If you rent a venue, the company’s staff will set up for the ceremony and reception. Having a home wedding will require you to set up yourself, which can be timely. Ask friends and family to help with decorating, preparing and cleaning.
3. Parking - Parking plays a huge factor in a residential wedding. If your location is in a neighborhood with limited street parking, like many in the D.C. area, you may be in some trouble. Hopefully there will be enough neighborhood spots available, but if not you must consider alternatives. Contact local stores with parking lots and ask if you can possibly rent out part of their parking lot. If your location is near a metro, instruct guests to park at the closest station and take the metro into the city.
4. Photography - Consider whether there will be appropriate settings to take photographs. Being in D.C. is an advantage because there are a number of beautiful places to hold a photo shoot. However, find some closer to your home to eliminate time for commuting.
5. The Home - Make sure that there is enough space, both inside and out, to accomodate all of your guests. There should be multiple bathrooms, spacious rooms and plenty of seating areas. It is crucial that everyone feels welcome and comfortable, not crowded.
These local businesses may be able to help you get started:
Moshe Zusman Photography
1401 Florida Ave NW
Washington, DC 20009
Read the studio’s fabulous client testimonials and visit some wedding galleries on the website.
1305 19th St NW
Washington, DC 20036
Palace Florists is a family-owned florist with exceptional wedding designers that will work with you to create memorable floral arrangements.
Well Dunn Catering
510 11th St SE
Washington, DC 20003
The friendly staff at Well Dunn Catering goes above and beyond, making them one of the D.C. area’s finest catering companies.
For more great tricks, tips and advice about your home, visit CBSWashingtonDC.com/YourHome.
Kelly Johnston is a freelance writer living in D.C. She is a soon-to-be University of Alabama graduate who hopes to have a successful career in fashion journalism. Her major is Apparel and Textiles with a Concentration in Fashion Retail and Merchandising and her minor is Journalism. Her work can be found at Examiner.com.