Redskins Rookie Minicamp Quick Notes: RGIII Is The Starter, Period
ASHBURN, Va. (CBSDC) — The Washington Redskins wrapped up their rookie minicamp with a heavily attended open practice Sunday morning.
The team issued more than 50 credentials to members of the media. A tweet by the team said it was more than five times the normal attendance figures for such an event.
It’s all because of one man — Robert Griffin III.
Mike Shanahan wasted no time in anointing the coveted Heisman Trophy winner as the starting quarterback of the team. Following Sunday’s practice the head coach addressed the media and put to bed any far-reaching rumors that RGIII would be in a battle for the starting job, whether it be with Rex Grossman or fourth-round selection Kirk Cousins.
Indeed, the only quarterback battle at Redskins Park this season will be for second string. For his part, Cousins said he knew what position on the depth chart he was battling for.
Shanahan hammered home the top of the depth chart saying Griffin was the team’s starting quarterback, period.
Also of note from Sunday’s practice:
- Robert Griffin III and Kirk Cousins are roommates in the team hotel.
- Griffin said Shanahan gave him a heads up that the team was planning on drafting another quarterback. The Cousins selection was not a surprise.
- Shanahan said he likens the Griffin – Cousins pairing to that of John Elway and Gary Kubiak in 1983 with the Denver Broncos.
- Shanahan said Griffin was ahead of where he expected him to be as far as knowing the playbook.
- Third-round pick Josh LeRibeus is getting a lot of time at center. Shanahan seemed high on his versatility.
- Lots of media were interested in Chase Minnifield, the undrafted free agent cornerback from UVa.
- The Redskins signed sixth round picks Tom Compton (OT – South Dakota) and Alfred Morris (RB – FAU).
Audio from Sunday’s press conferences is also available.