OXON HILL, Md. (CBSDC/AP) – Five people have been found dead of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at a home in a Washington suburb, authorities said Tuesday.

Two of the dead were found Tuesday by a relative who showed up at the home to check on their welfare, said Mark Brady, a fire department spokesman in Maryland’s Prince George’s County. Firefighters later found three more bodies in the home in Oxon Hill.

Firefighters detected extraordinarily high levels of carbon monoxide in the home, Brady said. A normal carbon monoxide reading is 0 to 5 parts per million and the reading taken at the home measured 550 parts per million, he added.

Public records indicated that Sonia M. Chavez and Oscar A. Chavez lived in the home, which was purchased by the woman in 2010.

All-News 99.1 WNEW’s Kevin Rincon reports the victims are four adult males in their 30’s and 40’s and one female in her sixties.

Ramon Nunoz, who lives across the street, said the married couple was originally from El Salvador and the man worked in construction.

“They were good people. I’m very sad that this happened,” Nunoz said.

Nunoz said he didn’t know who else might have been staying with the couple.

The one-story brick home was built in 1955 and has an assessed value of $207,000, records show.

Prince George’s County police sent homicide detectives to the scene, but there was no indication of any foul play, said Cpl. Mike Rodriguez, a police spokesman.

Police and fire vehicles packed the streets surrounding the house in a largely Spanish-speaking neighborhood.

(TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Listen Live