Filed underYour Home
With spring weather comes more daylight, blooming flowers and spring cleaning. Have a home filled with unused items? A garage or yard sale is just one of many ways to get rid of all that extra stuff. The money you pull in depends on factors such as advertising, display set up, pricing and more. Maximize your time and profit with these best tips for a successful garage sale in the District.
1. Advertise. Use social networks to notify family and friends. Hang up flyers around the neighborhood and in busy locations at least a few days in advance of the sale. Good locations to consider are neighborhood supermarkets, cafes and parks. Place an ad in the paper. Post signs around major intersections. When making posters, use bold letters and provide clear information such as the date, location and time of the sale.
2. Make it a neighborhood sale. People are more likely to pull over when they see multiple yards having sales. Work together with your neighbors to make it a multi-home event. Set realistic prices on all goods and establish how the profit will be split at the end of the day.
3. Put similar items together. Present your items similarly to a store display. For example, use one table for toys and games, another for kitchenware and appliances and another for home decor. Find a couple of clothes racks to hang wardrobe options. An item will be significantly more appealing when presented in an organized way. Try to keep the display tidy throughout the day as it can easily turn messy.
4. Provide refreshments. Encourage your children to open up a lemonade or a bake stand under a shaded tree. Customers are more likely to hang around longer if they have something to eat or drink, especially in the hot summer months.
5. Make a backup plan. Chances are you may not sell everything. Take pictures and post an ad on Craigslist or eBay. However if you are ready to just get rid of remaining items, help a family in need by scheduling a pickup with the local Salvation Army.
Related: Best Thrift Stores in the DC Area
These local businesses and organizations can help you make your garage sale a success:
1929 18th St NW
Washington, DC 20009
Hours: Mon to Fri – 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., Sat – 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sun – Closed
No need to break budget when making your sale flyers. Basecamp DC charges only 10 cents per black and white copy, and 35 cents for color copies. All copies are made with 100 percent recycled paper.
Brooke Rental Center
4831 1st St N
Arlington, VA 22203
Hours: Mon to Sat – 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Sun – Closed
Brooke Rental Center provides just about everything to help make your garage or yard sale a success. Rent tables, chairs, tents and even a popcorn machine.
1375 H St NE
Washington, DC 20002
Hours: Mon to Sat – 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sun – Closed
Donate unwanted goods like furniture, sports equipment, books, electronics and clothing at this neighborhood location. To schedule a pickup, call 1-800-728-7825.
For more great tricks, tips and advice about your home, visit CBSWashingtonDC/YourHome.
Susan Diranian is a freelance writer living in Ashburn, VA. She is covering Travel & Outdoors. Her work can be found at Examiner.com.