ASPEN HILL, Md. (CBSDC) — Six man have been arrested for the theft of copper wire along Connecticut Avenue between Georgia Avenue and Weller Road in the Aspen Hill area.
Montgomery County Police say the group used a bucket truck to ascend to where the wire was hung and cut it down in large sections.
A Verizon employee initially alerted authorities that the unknown subjects were stealing the wire along Connecticut Avenue at the beginning of the month.
Officers conducting surveillance in the area noticed a group of individuals cutting down wire and placing it into the back of a pickup truck around 10:40 p.m. Thursday. The officers contacted Verizon who told them no work was scheduled for that area at that time.
The six men were then arrested.
Police recovered 1800 feet of copper wire worth approximately $31,500 according to Verizon.
The six suspects arrested:
- Jose R. Chavez, age 43, of the 1900 block of Old Post Terrace in Woodbridge, VA.
- Jose R. Chavez, age 19, of the 1900 block of Old Post Terrace in Woodbridge, VA.
- Carlos Chavez-Ponce, age 27, of the unit block of Stevens Circle in Stafford, VA.
- Omar A. Hidalgo, age 19, of the 1300 block of Redbud Court in Woodbridge, VA.
- Jose R. Chavez-Mendoza, age 59, of the 2100 block of Old Ironside Court in Woodbridge, VA.
- Romulo O. Barrera, age 37, of the 2100 block of Old Ironside Court in Woodbridge, VA.
Each man has been charged with theft scheme $1,000 to under $10,000, theft over $10,000 to under $100,000, conspiracy to commit theft over $10,000 to under $100,000, and malicious destruction of property over $500.
They were each released on their own recognizance.