NFL Combine: Day-One Quick Hitters
1. New Colts general manager Ryan Grigson met with the media and took questions about Peyton Manning’s future with the team. He just didn’t answer many of them. “I’m here to focus on the combine,” he said at one point. “I can’t talk about Peyton’s medical status right now.”
2. Matt Kalil, a likely top-five pick who is considered the best offensive tackle in this year’s draft class, showed up at the combine standing 6-foot-6 and weighing 306-pounds. He said he’d like to play at about 310 pounds come this September.
3. Offensive tackles Mike Adams (Ohio State) and Jonathan Martin (Stanford) both acknowledged that they have both already met with members of the Redskins’ coaching staff . Admittedly, this doesn’t mean much, because the Redskins will be meeting with 60 players in Indianapolis this week.
4. Adams (6-foot-7, 323-pounds) looks the part. Many experts claim that he’ll be the second offensive tackle drafted in April. He spent much of his press conference with the media explaining that he has made some mistakes but that he isn’t a bad guy (he missed seven games do to suspensions during his time at Ohio State).
5. Ron Rivera said something interesting when asked about the Carolina Panthers altering their offense to suit Cam Newton’s skillset. He says you shouldn’t change your scheme but you should add to it. He cited some extra roll-out and bootleg packages that were installed to help Newton utilize his mobility.
6. In a move as predictable as it was smart, Browns head coach Pat Shurmur said that the Cleveland Browns still don’t know what they’re going to do with their two first round picks (at No. 4 and No. 22). They can either keep those selections and add a couple of impact-rookies, or they can package those picks as part of a deal to move up to No. 2 and draft Robert Griffin III.
7. Iowa offensive tackle Riley Reiff said that he spent some time at right tackle as a freshman, and that he would be willing to move to right tackle if a team asked him to. The Redskins could be looking to upgrade that spot, but with Reif projected to be taken on the back-end of the top-10, he may not be a fit for Washington.
8. Rex Ryan admitted that guaranteeing a Super Bowl at last year’s Super Bowl was a bad idea. “Looking back, obviously it was a huge mistake to make that guarantee. At the time we were coming off two championship games, I really thought it would be a thing that would actually motivate our team… But in hindsight I think it put undue pressure on our team and we kind of lost focus and really we lost focus on what we do best.”
9. Jason Garrett told reporters that the Cowboys will be swapping the positions of their starting tackles, Tyron Smith and Doug Free. Smith, the ninth overall pick in last year’s draft, will be moving from right tackle to left tackle. Free is a 28-year-old veteran entering his sixth season. He’ll now anchor the right side of Dallas’ line.
10. Jim Harbaugh said that Alex Smith is going to be the San Francisco 49ers quarterback moving forward. Smith, coming off a career year that saw him lead San Francisco to the NFC title game, is a free agent. Here was Harbaugh’s quote: “Alex is our guy. That’s well-documented. He had a tremendous season.”