Portis Still Alive, Ready For NFL Return
Redskins CentralShop for Redskins Gear
Buy Redskins Tickets
Sports Fan Insider
Sunday night, rumors began to spread about former Redskins running back Clinton Portis passing away in a car crash. On Monday, a very alive Portis joined Holden Kushner on “The Mike Wise Show with Holden Kushner,” and revealed that his mother called him in a panic to make sure he was safe.
“[Those] rumors scared the mess out of me, got my mother calling me, wanting to talk to me every hour.”
Portis says he doesn’t know how the rumor started, but he appreciated the support from NFL players like Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew and Browns cornerback Joe Haden.
As for the NFL, Portis hopes to return to the field in 2012, admitting that watching the NFL last season made his desire to play even greater. Portis did workout for a few NFL teams last season, but was not signed, he says due to concerns about his numerous injuries in 2010 with the Redskins. While disappointed with not playing last year, Portis feels sitting out was his best decision.
Portis also told Holden that he has no regrets from his time with the Redskins, and believes current running back Roy Helu has a bright future with the team. As for his take on the team in general, and how he got the chance to interview boxing legend Mike Tyson, listen to the full interview below.