Takoma Park Woman Dies In Apartment Fire Started By Cigarette

TAKOMA PARK, Md. (CBSDC/AP) — An early morning fire has killed a grandmother in Takoma Park.

Montgomery County fire officials say they were called to a sixth floor apartment in the 7600 block of Maple Ave. about 2:15 a.m. Monday. Firefighters found a woman who had been badly burned. She was being comforted by her granddaughter who was awakened by a smoke detector.

The victim, 56-year-old Charlotte Wilson, was transported to the Washington Hospital Center burn unit where she later succumbed to her injuries.

Investigators believe Wilson was smoking in bed when the cigarette fell into a pile of clothes and towels and ignited the blaze. She may have fallen asleep with the lit cigarette in hand.

State law mandates cigarettes be manufactured to self-extinguish if not puffed frequently. Fire officials confirmed Wilson’s cigarette adhered to the law.

(TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS DC

D.C. Lottery Live
Follow and Like Us

Listen Live