Major Metro Closings: List Of Track Work And Delays For This Weekend
WASHINGTON (CBSDC) – Buses replace trains between East Falls Church & West Falls Church; Yellow Line trains operate via the Blue Line between Huntington & Stadium-Armory.
Metro reports it will continue efforts to rebuild the rail system this weekend, starting Friday 10th, and ending Sunday 12th. The work will begin at 10 p.m. Friday and continue through system closing on Sunday.
- Beginning at 10 p.m. Friday and continuing through system closing on Sunday, shuttle buses will replace Orange Line trains between East Falls Church and West Falls Church to allow for signal work associated with the Dulles rail project.
- Orange Line trains will operate in two segments: between Vienna and West Falls Church every 20 minutes, and between East Falls Church and New Carrollton at normal weekend service levels.
- Customers traveling through the work zone should allow 20-30 minutes of additional travel time.
- Information regarding last train times will be posted here later this week.
- No scheduled work. Trains will operate on a regular weekend schedule.
- Red Line trains will single track between Van Ness and Friendship Heights to allow for rail fastener renewal, leak repairs and track bed cleaning, and between New York Avenue and Rhode Island Avenue for DDOT bridge work.
- Trains will depart Shady Grove and Glenmont every 15 minutes throughout the weekend.
- On Saturday and Sunday between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m., additional trains operate between Van Ness and New York Avenue every 15 minutes, resulting in service every 7-8 minutes through Downtown.
- Customers traveling through the work zone should allow 10-15 minutes of additional travel time.
- Green Line trains will single track between Naylor Road and Branch Avenue to allow for rail and fastener renewal, and between L’Enfant Plaza and Mt. Vernon Square for work to improve cell phone coverage.
- Throughout the weekend, Green Line trains will operate every 18 minutes between Greenbelt and Branch Avenue. Most trips will operate with 8-car trains.
Due to the work to improved cell phone coverage between L’Enfant Plaza and Mt. Vernon Square:
- On Friday evening, after 10 p.m., Yellow Line trains will operate every 26 minutes between Fort Totten and Huntington. Customers should allow 15-20 minutes of additional travel time.
- On Saturday and Sunday, all Yellow Line trains will operate via the Blue Line between Huntington and Stadium-Armory on a regular weekend schedule. Customers should allow 15 minutes of additional travel time between L’Enfant Plaza and Pentagon stations. At L’Enfant Plaza, all Yellow Line trains will depart from the Lower Level.
Metro is advancing a six-year, $5 billion Capital Improvement Program (CIP) that is focused on safety and bringing the Metro system into a state of good repair. In FY2012, the CIP includes projects to replace escalators; retrofit track; replace critical track circuitry and equipment along the right of way; rehabilitate third-rail power systems, running rail and track pads; modernize 12 stations; replace 100 Metrobuses and the rehabilitate 100 more; renovate three bus garages; and install 30 new track turnouts.
The Trip Planner on Metro’s website will not reflect the impact of this work on schedules. For more information on traveling by Metrobus or Metrorail, customers may call 202-637-7000 or TTY 202-638-3780, or visit wmata.com.