106.7 The Fan All News 99.1 WNEW CBS Sports Radio 1580

Baby Eats Cocaine At Virginia Beach Motel 6

View Comments
File photo of cocaine. (credit: GUILLERMO LEGARIA/AFP/Getty Images)

File photo of cocaine. (credit: GUILLERMO LEGARIA/AFP/Getty Images)

Latest News

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (CBSDC) — An 11-month-old baby was rushed to a Virginia hospital after he ate cocaine inside a Motel 6 room.

April Portis told WAVY-TV that her son found a spoon under the bed and began to chew on it. That’s when the baby’s grandmother grabbed it.

“She looked at it and she’s like, look at this,” Portis told WAVY. “I took it from her and on the back of the spoon it was all burnt up and on the top of the spoon was the residue from the cocaine on it.”

Portis called Virginia Beach police and Jahmai was rushed to the hospital with a “nontoxic accidental cocaine ingestion,” according to the station. Jahmai is expected to make a full recovery.

It didn’t get any better for the Portis family after Motel 6 moved them into a new room this time allegedly containing animal feces and a crack pipe.

“The maid was kind of bent down like this, saying ‘I don’t see anything, I don’t see anything,'” Ronald Hartshorn, the child’s grandfather, told WAVY. “And when I went like this…that’s when the crack pipe fell out of the other side of the bed on the floor.”

A Virginia Beach police spokesperson told CBSDC that an officer went out there to recover the cocaine and destroyed it. It is currently not a police matter.

A Virginia Beach Health Department task force is conducting a joint inspection with the Virginia Beach Fire Department today at the Motel 6.

Motel 6 said in a statement to CBSDC that “we are investigating the guest’s claims and have reached out to our local authorities to acquire more details on their findings.”

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,568 other followers