Albrecht Muth Hospitalized, Misses Court Date For Killing 91-Year Old Wife

View Comments
A 28-year-old Mount Nebo man and his 21-year-old stepdaughter have been charged with incest despite the fact they are not blood relatives and are both above the legal age of consent. (Credit: Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

A 28-year-old Mount Nebo man and his 21-year-old stepdaughter have been charged with incest despite the fact they are not blood relatives and are both above the legal age of consent. (Credit: Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

Latest News

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

WASHINGTON (CBSDC/AP) — A German-born man charged with killing his 91-year-old socialite wife missed a scheduled court appearance Friday because he’s been hospitalized for an undisclosed medical problem.

Albrecht Muthm, 47, said in November that he was refusing to eat and then told the judge in a letter last month that he was entering a more demanding phase of his hunger strike and would not accept medical help under any circumstances. At a routine status conference Friday, public defenders and a prosecutor said they had no information on his condition or whether his hospitalization was a result of his refusal to eat.

Muth has said he wants to act as his own attorney, but Judge Russell Canan said that request might need to be re-evaluated depending on Muth’s mental and physical health.

“If someone’s intent on terminating one’s life, that’s an issue that needs to be of concern,” he said.

A spokeswoman for the D.C. jail said she could not discuss Muth’s medical condition.

Muth is charged with second-degree murder in the fatal beating and strangulation of German socialite and journalist Viola Drath at their home in the city’s fashionable Georgetown neighborhood. He has denied killing her, and suggested to detectives that perhaps an intruder was responsible.

Immediately after her death in August, he submitted an obituary to the media saying she had died from head trauma resulting from a fall, but an autopsy determined the cause of death to be strangulation and blunt force trauma.

Detectives who investigated the death as a homicide found no signs of forced entry and said no one else appeared to have had access to the home in the hours before Muth called police and reported finding his wife unconscious in the bathroom. They also said Muth had visible scratches on his forehead and presented her relatives with a forged document that said he was entitled to a portion of her estate.

The case has taken a series of bizarre turns since his arrest. Muth has claimed to be a brigadier general in the Iraqi army and demanded to wear his military uniform at trial. But prosecutors say he is fabricating his military experience and has admitted the uniform he frequently wore around the neighborhood was tailor-made for him in South Carolina. The Iraqi embassy also says Muth has no connection to the Iraqi military or government.

Muth has told a judge he believed Drath’s death was a “hit” ordered by Iranian agents. He also sought to fire his public defenders in November, though they remain on the case as his legal advisers.

Prosecutor Glenn Kirschner said there didn’t appear to be any doubts about Muth’s mental health. He called him bright, calculating and manipulative.

“We don’t know everything about him, we admit,” he said.

Kirschner said a grand jury weighing the case is nearly done with its work and could return an indictment early next month.

(TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,655 other followers