Redskins Quick-Hitters: Wednesday at the Park
Buy Redskins Tickets
Nuggets and quotes from Mike Shanahan’s daily post-practice press conference:
1. Wednesday’s Injury Report:
LaRon Landry and Brian Orakpo were limited during today’s practice. Chris Cooley and Brandon Banks were both able to fully participate.
2. What does Landry need to prove in practice to be allowed to play on Sunday?
“He’s got to show he can play. You’ve got to be in football shape.. It’s kind of your gut as you go through the week.. You don’t want to push him over the hump where he sets himself back so there’s a fine line there.”
3. Tim Hightower has been better than even the Redskins’ expected:
“You don’t know for sure if a running back is a three-down back where he can handle the blitz, he can run the football, he can catch the ball. What I’ve seen since he’s been here, he can do all three. That was a good addition to our football team.”
4. Shanahan thinks the Hightower trade will benefit both Arizona and Washington:
“They had a first round draft choice, they had an early second round draft choice, he was in the last year of his contract. You never know what somebody’s thinking at the time. We only have him for one year. They got a draft choice out of it and it was before Williams got hurt. A lot of thought goes into it, sometimes it works out for both teams.”
5. Fred Davis is growing up.
“Being in his second year, he’s a lot more comfortable with this system. I think he’s getting it. Sometimes it doesn’t happen right away. By him losing some weight, having an excellent offseason program he’s given himself the ability to have a heck of a year. I think he’s enjoying what he’s doing. Looks like he’s having fun. Usually when players have fun, they’ve got a way of coming up with some big plays just like he did in the first game.”
… From Wednesday’s open locker room session with the players …
– Fred Davis said he decided to lose weight after watching film of Owen Daniels starring in Kyle Shanahan’s scheme back in Houston. He weighed 257 pounds last year and is currently weighing in at 242.
– Tim Hightower said he doesn’t plan on contacting any of his former Cardinals’ teammates before Sunday’s game. He said he’ll resume his friendships with Arizona players after the game: “When I’m playing against you you’re not a friend of mine,” Hightower said.
– LaRon Landry wouldn’t comment on his status for Sunday’s game. He did, however, offer that his hamstring is progressing and that he’s feeling better. He also said that he won’t allow the fact that this is his contract season to impact when he returns to the Redskins’ starting lineup. “I have a great agent,” he said. “He’ll take care of that. I’m worried about getting on the field to perform and helping my team win.”
– Adam Carriker said he doesn’t expect the Redskins’ defensive line to generate four sacks every week. (The unit did that on Sunday after compiling nine sacks during the entire 2010 season). He did say, however, that he thought it was already easy to see just how much better the Redskins’ personnel was up front.
– Debuting right guard Chris Chester said that he thinks the Redskins can do a better job blocking in the run game. He said the unit struggled with some of their “fits” and that he thought they were close to breaking a couple long runs but that the unit would improve considerably this weekend.
– Chris Cooley initiated a new Wednesday ritual for the tight ends group. He, Fred Davis and Logan Paulsen all practiced in burgundy tights today. The long team-issued pants are normally worn under clothes but the tight ends have decided to practice in them on Wednesday’s.