Reporting Grant Paulsen
1. Brandon Banks was back at practice on Monday. He’s expected to play against the Buccaneers on Thursday night.
Shanahan: “He looked pretty good. I didn’t talk to him [after practice]. Hopefully there was no backlash with his knee. He looked like he was practicing fine.. I think we’ll evaluate it tomorrow or the next day, hopefully there’s no swelling. He should be able to at least return.
2. Ryan Torain was back at practice and is preparing to make his preseason debut on Thursday night at FedEx Field.
Shanahan: “No setback. Hand’s feeling good. Got a lot of reps today so hopefully he’ll be ready to go.”
3. Mike Shanahan says the Redskins will approach the final preseason game differently this year.
“It’s completely different this year. We’re approaching this like the third week of the preseason .. like we’re getting ready for a regular season game.” A year ago the Redskins benched all 22 of their offensive and defensive starters for the final preseason game. Don’t expect that to happen on Thursday.
4. Shanahan on tomorrow’s roster cuts, the first of two deadlines to release players over the next five days.
“Going from 90 to 80 [players] is not hard,” Shanahan said. He then added, “Normally you go to camp with 80.. Sometimes you may be a little bit stronger at one position and all the sudden a guy is more expendable than another and they’ve still got a chance to play. I think that’s the hardest thing about a head football coach is telling somebody on cut day that he’s not going to make your football team.”
5. Malcolm Kelly isn’t likely to be placed on the Injured Reserve again this season.
“There’s a lot of possibilities but he’s got a sore foot so I wouldn’t say injured reserve. He doesn’t have that type of injury. I’m hoping he’s back in the next few days.” .. So how will he evaluate Kelly, who he has yet to see play in a preseason game during his time here? “That’s a good question. Could you help me out there. I really can’t answer that.”