Golston Re-Signs: “This is my home. I’m a Redskin.”
Kedric Golston is staying in Washington.
The sixth-year defensive lineman re-signed with the Redskins on Wednesday afternoon, inking a one-year deal to remain with the team that drafted him back in 2006.
“I’m happy to be back here,” Golston told the media after watching his Redskins teammates practice. “This is my home. I’m a Redskin.”
Golston, 28, started a career-best 13 games last season. His 35 tackles were the most he’s tallied since his rookie year, but the Georgia product was held sackless for the first time in his career.
“I’m just excited to be back with the team and I look forward to a great year,” Golston said. “I’ve been here the last five years. This is comfortable to me. I know the defense, I enjoy the coaching staff and believe in what’s going on around here. I want to be a part of fixing the last couple years.”
When Golston takes part in his first training camp practice on Thursday, he’ll line up next to a pair of new defensive line-mates in nose tackle Barry Cofield and defensive end Stephen Bowen. Both were signed to contracts last week, guaranteed a combined $ 25 million, and are expected to start in Washington’s season-opener.
But Golston isn’t worried about a diminished role.
“It’s the NFL, there’s always competition,” Golston said. “This isn’t the first time guys have been brought in so I’m happy for the guys. I’m excited to have them here and looking forward to just going out and winning a lot of football games.”
Golston and 2011 second-round pick Jarvis Jenkins will provide depth at defensive end, where the Redskins have dramatically improved their personnel since last season. Wednesday’s re-signing of the Tyrone, Ga. native was an important part of that refurbishing.